Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Netbooks, the purest form of Notebooks

I love my Eee pc. 100%. With Ubuntu Netbook remix, some CPU throttling, and Eee Pc controls, I easily can get 7-8 hours of battery life if I want, and that is about a year after purchasing the thing. The more I think about it, I realize that netbooks are what laptops/notebooks are really intended to be. Portable, light, good battery duration...that's what people really want in a laptop. The common criticisms of netbooks are generally they are too small, and they are too weak. Exactly! It's what laptops should be, they are not for constant use, and when I see 21" Alienware laptops, I kind of want to smack that person in the face.

I don't use my netbook when I'm at home, nor is it a computer for constant use or writing a thesis. But weighing in at 2lbs, with a 6-7 hour battery life, it is extremely convenient. I can take it to class/work all day, and not only does it not weigh my backpack down, but I don't even have to bring my charger. Most laptops currently produced, are just portable desktops. I'm not saying this is a market that shouldn't exist, trust me, it would have been a royal pain in the butt for me to have had a desktop in college. But let me tell you this...I plan on having a netbook for a long time.

No comments: